Workshop Guide


Prior to Your Arrival for the Orientation Workshop:

The Combined Language GTA Training course is intended as the beginning of a continued process of professional development that will extend throughout your career. The lectures, teaching practica, and materials presented in the morning and afternoon sessions will provide you with the basic tools and understandings that you will need to begin your development as a teacher of language and culture in the university setting.

You will need to have completed the following forms:

  • Tax card
  • I-9 (Employment verification)
  • PERS (Public Employees Retirement System)
  • ARMS (Personal Data Request)

If any of these forms are missing it will affect your paycheck! The Department will give you an authorization form to get an OSU ID card. Take the form to the ID Center in the Ohio Union. The ID is good for many things including checking out library books, using the gym facilities, or getting discounts at area businesses.

To activate your e-mail account on-line, visit My OSU. To open your account in person, take your university ID to Customer Services in the Baker Systems Media Center, 512 Baker Systems, 1971 Neil Avenue, to request the change in person.

For information about Columbus, Ohio and The Ohio State University check out the following sites:

Personal Matters:
If you are an international student -- you need to have the appropriate VISA status. Any questions regarding this should be directed to the Office of International Affairs, 614-292-6101. 

The Office of International Affairs - 140 Enarson Classroom Bldg., 2009 Millikin Road - walk in hours are Monday-Thursday, 1:00pm-4:00pm. This office will help you with special requirements for scheduling your required English tests, tuberculin test, and assist you in keeping all your visa and immigration information current. Be sure to take all your important papers with you when you visit this office. International graduate students are required to provide proof of health insurance or purchase the student insurance that is available to you. If you have a temporary social security number (beginning with 999), this office will also help you get a permanent social security number.